Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Quite the conundrum

Double Rainbow over Bondi

I would like to be an etymologist rather than an entomologist. Not that it's an option or a career path, but if I had the choice it would be quite facile.


It may help me solve the conundrum of the word "number". Is this singular or plural?

I have a number of ideas,
A simple sentence - but one filled with options.

The number of options I have is/are many.
Does one of these options feel more correct?

Perhaps I should only used the word "number" in the comparative sense - as in "more numb".

But that would be puerile.

Now, the issue of refracted light is quite important (odd segue - but see image above). It is actually one of few phenomena which creates something which is naturally blue.
The sky is blue because light refracts with the particles in the atmosphere (to the 4th power of frequency of light) and given blue light's frequency is greater than, say, red, the sky appears blue (FYI blue is towards the end of the spectrum of visible light). (This differs at sunrise/sunset as the blue light has refracted further, thus leaving oranges/reds in the horizon). But how many blue fruits do you know?

More drivel... why anyone would read this, I know not.
Enjoy this old quote for now:


In summing up, I wish I had some kind of affirmative message to leave you with, I don't. Would you take two negative messages? My mother used to say to me when I was younger, "If a strange man comes up to you, and offers you candy, and wants you to get into the back of his car with him... go".

-- Woody Allen

No comments: