Sunday, April 01, 2007

Truthless or beauty

I am prone to hyperbole, and 100s of people have asked me why I have not blogged recently.

Rather than perfect a posting, it's better to just send off a blog into the ether and it will ensure the masses are sated, for the time being.

Can you please help me with the notion of stones? Not the big lipped Mick Jagger type, but those which people wear on rings, necklaces, etc. I understand precious stones. When the category of semi-precious arises, I am taken aback (metaphorically) as it would appear these stones are precisely HALF as precious. Is there a further category of semi-demi precious stones just like a quaver in music? What is beyond this term? Rest assured, I'm not a jeweller and therefore I may not be au fait with these things, but one would expect there to be some consistency. Who makes the call whether ruby is hemi-demi-semi precious or just precious? Do two semi-precious stones make one precious one (eg nice earrings - they're so precious together).

But I digress...

There's also the oddity relating to the word ruthless. It may appear innocuous but in truth it is not... if someone is not being ruthless are they then being ruth? It doesn't sound correct, but is it wrong?

Speaking of non sequiturs, I am trying to confirm my hunch that the North Pole is actually magnetically South. You may think it's strange, but I think that the magnets in your compass point north, and given the attraction of North to South, the North Pole is really a south pole which attracts a North. Capito? If you're a little lost, revert to Maxwell's Equations and ensure that a monopole is impossible, and then determine the north/south conundrum from first principles.

And finally, with the onset of winter there's another lexicon issue and that is: does inclement weather impose a need for clement weather as well?

Don't go outside without sunglasses, it's clement out there!
Post Factum - these guys need to work on their signs
The photo (right) was taken at the local Australia Post Office. I was not sure about the reason for the sign, for the likelihood of anyone walking out with the shop is minimal. Poor drafting or translation from another language perhaps, but this type of thing must be stopped.

And finally, the parting quote:
I wanna make a jigsaw puzzle that's 40,000 pieces. And when you finish it, it says: go outside.

- Demetri Martin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So...did you think you'd get bonus points for making a posting today and including a clip from curb your enthusiasm?