Thursday, September 28, 2006

Atlas Shrugged

Is cartography still a profession? It's something I have some interest in, but fear that with satellite imagery (Hubble aside), myriad atlases in bookstores, Google Earth and even the opening screen of Universal Studios films (coupled with distant Pluto recently struck off as a planet), there's little out there for me to do as an aspiring cartographer.

Sure, there are those vexing issues between the Peters Projection and the Mercator Projection (I prefer the former if only for alliteration - I'm a Peters Projection Person) which can be endlessly debated, but this is but a minor point in the world of a map man. I know a little about steradians and have argued with a friend whether the moon is a Lambertian surface (I think it is) , but does this actually cut it for me? Is there anything more out there that needs to be mapped. Sure, cartography is large scale architecture, or maybe inverse architecture as you're plotting that which already exists, but maybe there is a need. Polar icecaps melting, sea levels rising, the odd volcanic gurgle or Iceland changing shape - they all add up to a dynamic Earth which needs to be updated. Further, with countries changing name, borders or both they must require a budding assistant. When the ferrous drapery (read: iron curtain) fell, I'm sure there would have been a lot of work out there. Whether it be Republic of the Congo or neighbouring Democratic republic of the Congo maps are required.
Robert Frost said that good fences make good neighbours, and cartographers are those who can ensure this happens on a grand scale.

Fields of Wheat This morning's walk went swimmingly. Another overcast yet magical sunrise (left) and my third consecutive day of "fitness". My diet, starting on Tuesday (and redundantly pausing for a hiatus each weekend during birthday season), became further refined with speak of Glycemic Index and associated good foods. A quick search on the website led me to this cereal: Ultra-bran™ breakfast cereal, Vogel's brand, soy and linseed extruded wheat bran cereal (30.2 g fiber per 100 g) Australia.
I think I may need to locate it, purchase it and strive for better food intake. This will include a reduction in these at least for a while. So, with a new diet and hopefully a routine of waking up very early to get out and make it beyond Tamarama, there'll be a new Mike Zero at the by the end of Oktoberfest.

Today's quote is from Demetri Martin:
"Employee of the month is a good example of how somebody can be both a winner and a loser at the same time."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could this be true - I'm the very first person to comment on this blog...does that make me a winner and/or a loser...?!