Wednesday, September 27, 2006

A sequence of non sequiturs

This morning was quite the struggle to get out of bed at 6am. Last night I discovered that the snooze setting on my alarm can be varied to any number of minutes. This I find odd, intriguing and ultimately futile. To set it to 1 minute is not, to me, a snooze. And to set it to 1hour is hardly effective. But, as usual, I digress.

Once the rain in the distance cleared and I could actually see the beach, and in spite of the ever-present grey clouds it was time to walk again. The crowds along the tayelet never cease to amaze me at the crack of dawn. Fitness freaks, general freaks, owners who look like their dogs... it's almost disconcerting not to be there given that it would imply laziness. The Spaziergang was great and will continue most mornings for the next few months at least.

I have a meeting with the institute (read: TBI) today. Tying into one of the few founding tenets of this elite think tank, there is no agenda scheduled. Frankly, there may not even be a real meeting. Meetings always seem to be a reason to have coffee and for this I am thankful. Acrostics Anonymous meets tomorrow (more coffee); it's been tough in the acrostic world of late. I think there's a new café near the tennis courts too, so even when trying to do something more active than a meeting, you can imbibe coffee.

I have been advised, nay instructed, to go on a diet. Once YK finishes I'll be consuming fewer bagels, less hummus, darker chocolate, smaller cakes whilst balancing this with more fish, açaí and bamboo. I'm not sure if I should be listening to Alkan, eating alkanes, avoiding alchohol or just ignoring any advice given to me. The words mildly obese seem oxymoronic, so I am not concerned - what is grammatically wrong can't harm me, no?

One parting Mitch Hedberg quote for today:
"Alcoholism is a disease, but it's the only one you can get yelled at for having. 'Damn it, Otto, you're an alcoholic.' 'Damn it, Otto, you have lupus.' One of those two doesn't sound right."

No comments: