Friday, September 29, 2006

Parataxis change shift at 3am & 3pm

View of Bronte Beach from above the poolOf all the morning walks this week today's was one of them. The stopwatch was reset at Icebergs and by the time the photo (left) was snapped, 20mins had transpired. The pace today was a little more brisk than the last two days, but that may be due to the paucity of cloud cover, a later start or myriad other factors not accounted for as yet. Also, B pointed out these stairs at Tamarama as a steep shortcut back home and frankly that was the best workout of the week. Spring is in the air and I feel surprisingly healthy.

There was an email I received yesterday that, at the bottom, said please consider the environment when printing this email. This got me thinking... I did consider the environment and yet I printed the email, all nine pages! I believe the only thing that the emailer should do is NOT write that pleonasm. It's really just a potential waste of printer toner, ergo this harms the environment more than.

The non-sequitur of the day, other than the subject of this posting (I was inspired by a parataxis yesterday when I thought of the title, but now don't have anything to add), is the pluperfect tense. I'm impressed when you can fool Microsoft when using this tense. Long ago (circa 1983) I used to thing it was incorrect to have the words "had had" back-to-back. It just couldn't be correct. However, inter alia after 5 years of studying Latin coupled with being awarded my Grammar Police ranking in 2002, I think the pluperfect is my favourite tense (closely followed by the future perfect, but that tense will have had enough over-use next year).

Finally, I had my first comment on my blog-page. The whole idea of anonymity intrigues me. I'm not sure if you are anonymous in order to not reveal yourself to Mike Zero, or to not reveal yourself to others who read this blog. In any case, comments and feedback are welcome.

And a parting quote, as is my current theme:
"I wanna make a jigsaw puzzle that's 40,000 pieces. And when you finish it, it says 'go outside.'" - Demetri Martin

No comments: