Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Königsberg Bridge - now charging tolls each way

$3 each way is rather expensive for seven bridges Perhaps it is me... no, it is me that presumes what is read on this blog is understood. I think it's quite the opposite.

I write, and mention things like the subject of this posting and just assume y'all know what I am on about. Or if you don't, that when you read that it was Euler who solved the Königsberg Bridge problem, that you know who he was.

Sure, it's not "common" knowledge, but are you really common?Most people who read this (you're in a set of about 10 people, I think) are anything but common, yet I fear I confuse you.

My care factor, fortunately, hovers on or about zero, so my postings will continue in spite of your feedback, or lack thereof.
Sunrise over Sydney Harbour - not a bridge in sight
One thing I have noticed is the prevalence of blogs and its effect on society. For example, it has helped physics extend well beyond the usual small circle of in-the-know doctors and professors. A recent article in the NY Times noted that now with blogs even string theorists who can't spell Higgs became immediately aware of inside information about D Zero data. And I'm sure you're all happy about this (I am).

And a new segment to my blog, a stream of consciousness (followed by the usual quote):

Higgs Boson, ablative, diminished 5th in phrygian mode, somnambulation, Furano, Brownian motion, HDL is good cholesterol, monopoles, Klimt and laminar flow.


Today's quote:
I used to buy a lot of M&Ms, they're a delicious candy. But then I switched to aspirin. I find that if you hand your friend two aspirin, he doesn't look at you like you're selfish.
Mitch Hedberg

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ha ha, clever title (thx Wikipedia!).

New Flash: New Toll System Forces Local Miser to Solve Königsberg Bridge Problem